Whether you adore your new carpet or can’t afford to replace it every few years, below are a handful of ways to extend the life of your carpet”even if you have kids and pets.
1. Lay down a rug in high traffic spots. It may seem weird to lay a rug over your carpet, but in places that see a ton of foot traffic”like by the bed, couch or doorways”adding an extra layer of protection in the form of a rug or mat can seriously prolong your carpet’s life.
2. Vacuum frequently. Make sure you vacuum once a week to pull up damaging dirt and dander that can wear down your carpet overtime.
3. Take off your shoes. By enforcing a “no shoes inside” policy in your home, you will reduce the amount of dirt that gets tracked in. Add a shoe rack by the front door to help make it easy.
4. Act fast with spills. If you get a splash or spill on your carpet, tackle it immediately, but don’t rub it in. Instead, use a spray bottle to mist a bit of water onto the stain and then blot it up gently with a towel as many times as needed. If it needs more work, create a solution that is 1:1 white vinegar and water and repeat the process.
5. Deep clean. Once a year, deep clean your carpet with a professional carpet cleaning device. Often, you can rent out these cleaners, or hire someone to do it for you.
Published with permission from RISMedia.